Pucara de Rumicucho, Incan Stone Fortress north of Quito Ecuador

Posted on January 4, 2017 • Filed under: Archaeology, Ecuador, Ecuador Travel

Pucara de Rumicucho Is More than just an Incan Stone Fortress

ancient-origins.net/Alicia McDermott reported the ruins of the Pucará de Rumicucho are well-preserved walls of an Pre-hispanic, Incan fortress. They are located a one hour drive north of Quito, Ecuador. The fortress was built in the end of the 15th century by Tupac Yupanqui, the tenth Sapa Inca (God Emperor). However, archaeologists have shown that the site predates the Inca period and served as more than just a military stronghold. The key location of the site corresponds well with astronomical activities as well. Today the ruins are well-maintained and frequent tourist visits, as well as indigenous ceremonies, take place there.
Architectural Features of The Stone Fortress

The name Pucará de Rumicucho, is Kichwa meaning fortress (Pucara) of stone (Rumi) corner (cucho), often translated as The Stone Fortress. This is an obviously descriptive name for at least one of the previous uses of the site. It has also been called Lulumbamba – “fertile plain.” It is believed that it was constructed between 1480 and 1500, by the Inca ruler Tupac Yupanqui.

The structure on the site consists of five terraces and measures at 400 meters (1312 feet) long, 100 meters (328 feet) wide and 20 meters (65.5 feet) high. The cut-stone walls are made up of pucarui (reddish color) and pugshi (volcanic ash) as well as chocoto and pumice stone. The dating of the fortress construction of between 1480-1500 has been decided upon by this particular stone and mortar combination. Read Article


Share This Story
  • Print
  • Digg
  • StumbleUpon
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Twitter
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Add to favorites
  • email