Family issues warning to tourists about ayahuasca use in death of their son in Peru

Posted on March 20, 2017 • Filed under: Latin America Travel, Peru The family of a young Aucklander who died suddenly in the Amazon jungle has issued a warning to other tourists about the dangers of a traditional hallucinogen known as ayahuasca.

Matthew Dawson-Clarke went to Peru to sample ayahuasca – an increasingly popular item on the bucket lists of many young adventure travellers.

The 24-year-old died after drinking a powerful brew of tobacco tea in preparation for the ayahuasca ceremony. There have been five ayahuasca-related deaths in Peru since his death in September 2015.

For the first time, Mr Dawson-Clarke’s parents have given a full account of his death at Kapitari, an ayahuasca retreat outside the city of Iquitos, Peru. The Dawson-Clarkes only heard their son had died from a tourist who rang to offer condolences three days later. Read Article


Share This Story
  • Print
  • Digg
  • StumbleUpon
  • Facebook
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Twitter
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Add to favorites
  • email