Peru: preventive measures recommended to mitigate effects of a possible El Ni├▒o

Posted on July 18, 2012 • Filed under: Agriculture, Enviromental Issues, Peru, TRAVEL, Weather/Climate

The Ministry of Environment (Minam) recommended Tuesday to regional governments adopt preventive measures to mitigate the effects of a possible El Ni├▒o according to the locations identified as vulnerable to hazards associated with this event.

Neyra Fernando Palomino, head of the Bureau of Land Management of Minam, said the agency that directs recently released technical tools related to it as the “Map of areas with probability of occurrence of hazards associated with El Ni├▒o.”

In the analysis, it is estimated that 40 percent of the territory of Cajamarca, Cusco, Huancavelica have very high probability of occurrence of landslides. Meanwhile, 60 percent of the territory of Huanuco, Pasco and Moquegua have high probability.

OTHER AREAS OF PROBABLY IMPACT Ica, La Libertad, Lambayeque, Lima, Piura, Puno, Tacna and Tumbes have high probabilities of occurrence of floods. Read Article rpp.com.pe

Share This Story
  • Print
  • Digg
  • StumbleUpon
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Twitter
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Add to favorites
  • email